Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Unmatched Windows XP Broadband - Cable Tweaks Guide

Does your connection crawl? I bet it does buddy, just try these few simple tweaks, lets get you fixed today. The following tweaks and modifications are the ones I personally perform to my Cable connection after fresh installing windows.

Note-This Guide works with DSL and Cable Connections!

The first thing I like to do is run over to Control Panel > Network Connections and "right click" Local Area Connection (Your primary connection)

Then I Uncheck:

"Client for Microsoft Networks"

"File and Printer Sharing For Microsoft Networks"

"QoS Packet Scheduler"

Then I like to install LVLLORD'S TCP PATCH.... (Read more info below)

Microsoft Limited TCP connections in SP2 to 10! Regain lost speed by applying lvllord's patch. Just download the patcher and execute it. It will automatically find the windows directory and ask, if it should increase/decrease. Enter C and change the value to 100, and confirm your changes. After a successful patch, the new TCPIP.SYS will be automatically installed. Restart your computer

After I get my Tcp nicely patched, I move on and Tweak my windows xp registry settings to unleash my cable connection's real potential. Don't be worried if I said "I tweak my registry", You wont have to manually edit it because I use a great free tool called Cablenut!

So you downloaded CableNut? Good! Now you are ready to start getting information to use with the program.

The first value that you will need to calculate is the Maximum Anticipated Latency of your connection. To do this, you will use the trace route command built into Windows XP. Follow these steps to get the latency value to use for your connection Alrighty so now lets find our Maximum Anticipated Latency! To do this, Download a really big file such as the .NET SDK framework at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads

While this file is downloading, run over and open up Command Prompt by opening "RUN" and typing in cmd. This brings up a nice big black window. Now you need to run what is called Tracert 5 times in this box and write down the highest number you get with every tracert.

So lets get this straight you need to run tracert 5 times each time to a different site. For example

tracert google.com

When you run it let it finish...can take up to 3mins then copy down the highest number. Do this five times, then DROP THE HIGHEST AND LOWEST VALUE and average the other 3 (add them all up then divide by 3). http://www.j79zlr.com/cablenutXP2k.php, then follow the steps to get the values to enter into CableNut:

**TO DETERMINE THE Maximum Connection Speed simply go to your Internet service provider's website and look for it. Or you could simply email them and ask them**

After you get all those settings, change the values GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize & TcpWindowSize. to the ones you found previously (your perfect RWIN).

Faster Downloads

I highly recommend that you use a download manager. It allows you to resume broken downloads, choose the fastest servers for your location for optimal d/l speed and schedule your downloads. Star Downloader is my top choice.

Fastest Windows XP Browser

I am a speed freak I must admit! And when I tell you I've tried EVERY BROWSER.....ive tried EVERY browser! The two browsers below I currently have installed on my PC and use them both! They both rock!

Firefox (My TOP Pick)- Firefox has spread the Net faster than AIDS =) and is now an essential icon on virtually every Computer around. Even though it had a rough start I am recommending it due to its frequent updates and its ability to be tweaked. I must admit, Firefox by default is NOT the fastest browser that is until it gets TWEAKED! Be sure to download your copy of Firefox along with Firetune.

Opera - Offer Insane speed, stability and security. It has an INCREDIBLE amount of features and fun stuff. http://www.Opera.com

Although its said that OPERA is the Fastest Browser available, I personally think that Firefox %2B Firetune whoops Operas butt! :-)

Don't let you PC slow to a crawl click the link for more Windows XP Tweaks that will have your pc running on steroids!

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Kristopher_Mainieri

No comments:

Post a Comment